The Organ at St. Paul's
St. Paul’s organ was built in 1990 by the distinguished firm Harrison & Harrison in Durham, England.
This organ consists of four divisions of pipes played from three manuals (keyboards) and a pedalboard. The action is electro-pneumatic with slider chests. When a key or pedal is depressed, air under pressure enters the base of the pipe and a sound is produced.
There are two divisions of pipes which are under expression. Louvers in front of these divisions can be opened or closed by the organist by means of expression pedals. This creates crescendo and diminuendo effects, similar to the effect of blinds on a window letting in or shutting out light.
There are 32 stops controlling 1800 pipes which provide a plethora of sound. The pipes are made of various metals and woods, depending on the sound desired. Our pipes range in size from one inch to 16 feet high. In addition to pipes, there are also three digital stops that provide the deepest tones of the organ in the pedal division. They are called 32-foot stops because the largest/deepest pipe would actually be 32’ tall. The grandest is the 32’ Bombarde, which supports the full organ ensemble.
There are also two special features on this organ. The Herald Trumpet, located at the top of the case, is a commanding sound used in processionals, fanfares, and the famous trumpet tunes often used for weddings. The Cymbelstern (bell-star) is located in the center of the organ case near the top. When engaged, the star turns and rings little bells, adding a touch of joy to the music.